We are a trusted charity that supports interactive and innovative online giving.
We are Hong Kong's go-to online charity platform that makes donating and fundraising easy, fun and interactive."
Set up a fundraising campaign, donate to many charities in one transaction, or gift someone else a donation and let them choose the charities to support.
Because we care! Hong Kong is our home and we’re in it 100%.
Charitable Choice was registered as a charity in Hong Kong in 2010 (IRD 91/11221). All donations are tax deductible.
Our mission is to be Hong Kong's go-to online platform that empowers people to donate and raise funds for Hong Kong charities in a secure, fun and interactive environment. Be a philanthropist anytime anywhere with the Charitable Choice giving platform!
Charitable Choice inspires, educates and connects donors to 50+ local charities, powering online giving for a better future. Charitable Choice vets all the charity beneficiaries on our platform, making it easy for you to #FindYourCause. Our vetting process includes the following steps to ensure the charities that benefit from your donations via our platform are providing bona fide services and benefit the community. We welcome nominations of new charity beneficiaries and a review of charity partners is conducted annually.
CHARITY VETTING PROCESS
PRIOR TO SIGN UP
- Check legal status – ensure that the beneficiary partner is a registered charity under Section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance by obtaining a copy of the charity registration certificate;
- Check financials - ensure that charity provides a copy of its most recent audited financial statements;
- Check activity - review website, annual reports and/or newsletters for understanding of the charity’s structure, history and programmes;
- Check management - meet with the management team and other relevant staff to ensure there's a group of passionate people behind the scenes.
ON AN ONGOING BASIS
- Check for dormancy - obtain updates on programmes at least once a year to ensure charity hasn't become dormant. This may be in the form of visits to the charity’s office, email correspondence, receipt of newsletters and/or a review of their annual report;
- Check for changes - contact charity at least once every calendar year to ensure we have the current staff contacts. If there have been significant changes, we request a meeting to get to know the new team;
- Check for receipts - we collate and transfer funds to beneficiaries every calendar quarter. We consolidate payment, provide reports about individual donations to each charity and liaise with them thereafter to obtain receipts;
- Check for impact - each year the charity beneficiaries provide information about the impact of their services within the local community, and we have been invited to join some of these programmes when feasible. To date donations via Charitable Choice have helped Hong Kong in many ways, including providing 60,000 meals for the needy, tutorial classes and after-school activities for over 8,000 underprivileged children and vaccinations for over 1,000 abandoned cats and dogs;
- Check for compliance – via the agreement signed at the outset, all charity beneficiaries are legally obliged to notify Charitable Choice within 30 days if it ceases to have Section 88 Status or changes its name or scope of services;
- Charitable Choice reserves the right to remove beneficiaries who do not comply with the above checks and we have done so on several occasions since our inception in 2010.
*Please note exceptions apply to those charities nominated by corporate users and featured on their customised fundraising pages. Customised corporate pages may feature charities that are not current beneficiaries of Charitable Choice and therefore may not have been vetted by Charitable Choice.
WHAT IS SECTION 88?
- All charity beneficiaries on the Charitable Choice platform, and in fact, Charitable Choice ourselves, are registered charitable organisations with Section 88 status. To find out more about what this means, and how Section 88 charities are different from not-for-profit organisations and/or Voluntary Organisations, please visit the Inland Revenue's website here.