Charitable Choice is committed to ensuring that the personal information provided by all of our donors, gift card recipients and fundraisers is treated with respect and kept strictly confidential.
By checking on the relevant tick-boxes and clicking on “CONFIRM” during the donation or account set up process, you agree that:
Subject to legal and contractual requirements, you may refuse or withdraw your consent to certain of the identified purposes at any time by contacting us at the address provided below. If you refuse or withdraw your consent, you acknowledge that you may not be able to use all functions of the Charitable Choice website and we may not be able to provide you with certain services or information which may be of value to you.
2. Personal Information
Collection of Your Personal Information
When you access our website, we may collect from you your personal information such as your name, password, age, date of birth, gender, email address, correspondence address, telephone number and credit card and debit card numbers (with expiration dates).
Use of Your Personal Information
We may use the personal information collected from you for a number of purposes, including without limitation the following:
- processing and administering donations made by you;
- with your consent, communicating with you to confirm your gift card purchase and/or redemption and in relation to any problems that may arise in connection with processing your transaction;
- publishing information as posted by you or as necessary to run and operate personal fundraising webpages created by you and hosted on our website;
- formulating transaction reports to persons operating personal fundraising webpages hosted on the Charitable Choice website to whom you have made donation(s);
- with your consent, communicating with you about new developments in our charity services and organization, sending you promotional materials and newsletters and inviting you to events organized by us and our charity partners; and
- providing your personal information to our charity partners to allow them to communicate with you in relation to your donation to us designating them as the intended recipient, and to send you promotional materials and and event invitations.
Transfer of Your Personal Information
We may also share your personal information with the following persons [who may be located overseas] for the above purposes:
- third party service providers who provide administrative, communications, computer, payment, security or other services which assist us to carry out the above purposes;
- banks and other payment service providers; and
- our charity partners.
3. Personal Information collected before April 1, 2013
There is an amendment to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance in Hong Kong, which took effect on April 1, 2013. Under the new regulations, we are required to procure the consent of any data subjects for direct marketing activities. The new requirement does not apply to your personal information provided to us before April 1, 2013, provided we have explicitly informed you of our intention to use this data in direct marketing, and have not received any objection from you.
For customers who have subscribed to our newsletter service as well as those who have provided contact details for the purposes of buying or redeeming our Gift Cards before April 1, 2013, we retain and use your personal information to keep you informed of updates relating to the work of Charitable Choice and our beneficiary partners.
We will continue to deliver this information to you as usual, using your contact details such as your name and email address.
We will continue to send news and promotions to you, but if you no longer want this service, please email us at [email protected] or write to us at Suite 602, 6/F, Keen Hung Commercial Building, 80 Queen's Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong.
4. Children's Privacy
Given our website and platform are intended for children under the age 12, we consider the children’s privacy interests of utmost importance and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children's online activities and interests. We also take all reasonable care to secure personal information. We do not knowingly collect, store, use or process personal information from children without proper parental consent.
5. Credit Card Information
When purchasing a gift card by credit card, your credit card information is held by Stripe payment gateway service, a secure payment processing facility, solely for the purpose of processing the payment. This information is not held by Charitable Choice at any time.
Customers' payment details are securely transmitted for real-time transaction authorisation using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
6. Links to other websites
We do not collect or use your personal information unless you choose to provide it and consent to such use of your personal information by us. You may choose, at any time, to unsubscribe from our newsletter service at any time by emailing us at [email protected] or write to us at Suite 602, 6/F, Keen Hung Commercial Building, 80 Queen's Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong.
7. Links to other websites
Your personal information will not be retained longer than necessary for fulfilling the purposes it has been collected and to comply with applicable laws. We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information we hold if it is no longer needed for business or legal purposes.
We take all practicable steps to ensure the personal information that we hold is accurate, complete and up to date, and your personal information is protected against unauthorized or accidental access, processing, erasure, loss or use.